History of the School

Dr Challoner's Grammar School was founded in 1624 in accordance with the last will and testament of Dr Robert Chaloner (spelt with one 'l'). Robert Chaloner was Rector of Amersham from 1576 to 1584, when he took up office as a Canon of Windsor, a post he held until his death in 1621.

In his will, Robert Chaloner left money to establish 'a free gramar scoole in Amersam', as well as £40 a year for a schoolmaster. The school was situated in Old Amersham for almost three centuries before moving, with the support of Buckinghamshire County Council, to its present site in Amersham-on-the Hill in 1905. At this time, the school embraced the principle of co-education for the first time which, according to the school's first prospectus in 1906, was 'practically universal in America'.

By 1937, Challoner's was incorporated into the state system of education and by the early 1950s the school had about 350 boys and girls on roll. However, plans for expansion to 550 pupils were overtaken by rapid population growth in the area and the decision was made to establish a separate school for girls in Little Chalfont, Dr Challoner's High School, which opened in 1962. The two schools continue to maintain very close links.

The continued expansion of the Grammar School to its present size of over 1300 boys saw major building projects in the 1950s, 1980s and 1990s. The more recent of these developments have provided the school with some of the most attractive school buildings in the county, complementing the original style of the 1905 block which still forms the hub of the school. In 2005, the school celebrated its centenary on the Chesham Road Site with the opening of the Centenary Sports Pitch - a floodlit all-weather facility - along with a new cricket square and pavilion. A new Entrance Building - named after eminent Old Challoner Dame Sanda Dawson - was completed in 2007, while 2011 saw the completion of a cookery room, additional indoor sports facilities and a fully equipped Studio for drama and music. An ambitious re-development of the Library and Sixth Form Centre was completed in March 2013 and opened by HRH The Earl of Wessex.

Headmasters 1624 to the present